Archives of Ask A Scientist!
About "Ask A Scientist!"
On September 17th, 1998 the Ithaca Journal ran its first "Ask A Scientist!" article in which Professor Neil Ashcroft , who was then the director of CCMR, answered the question "What is Jupiter made of?" Since then, we have received over 1,000 questions from students and adults from all over the world. Select questions are answered weekly and published in the Ithaca Journal and on our web site. "Ask A Scientist!" reaches more than 21,000 Central New York residents through the Ithaca Journal and countless others around the world throught the "Ask a Scientist!" web site.
Across disciplines and across the state, from Nobel Prize winning scientist David Lee to notable science education advocate Bill Nye, researchers and scientists have been called on to respond to these questions. For more than seven years, kids - and a few adults - have been submitting their queries to find out the answer to life's everyday questions.
BUT . . ..
Mercury-containing materials are usually extremely toxic. The most toxic forms of mercury are: the vapor created when liquid mercury is heated and most of the compounds formed when mercury combines with other elements. Elemental (liquid) mercury, however, is quite inert; it does not react with many other materials. One possible complication of touching mercury would be that it comes into contact with an open wound, introducing the mercury into the blood stream. This could create severe health problems.
A major source of mercury contamination 'in the wild' results from the use of mercury to remove metallic gold from the ores that contain it. Mercury forms an amalgam with gold (very similar to the mercury-silver amalgams used in dental fillings). This dissolves the gold out of the mixture of rock and soil it is found with in nature. The gold is then removed from the amalgam by boiling away the mercury. The mercury is recovered for reuse when this is done in an enclosed apparatus; in the wild, however, prospectors simply allow the extremely toxic mercury vapors to escape into the atmosphere, poisoning themselves and the surrounding environment.
Two compounds containing mercury, mercurochrome and merthiolate, have long been used as antibacterial agents. I remember my parents applying these medications to my cuts and scratches when I was a child to prevent infections.
Mercury, like most things in nature, is neither all bad nor all good; the bad far outweighs the good for mercury. It is important when working with mercury or any other potentially hazardous material that you understand the hazards involved before handling it. It is also wise to consider both the risks and the benefits of your actions. Although the chances of being poisoned by touching liquid mercury are very low, how would this action benefit you? My recommendation would be to wear thin gloves if you want to get the "feel" of this material.
- What is the history of coding?
- I know that water can put out a fire. What does liquid nitrogen do to a fire?
- What was the gas mileage for the earliest cars made?
- Specifically, we have paperwork that gives different names for several of the new elements: Db for number 105 instead of Ha and Bh for number 107 instead of Ns. Do we have names for 110, 111, or beyond? What is the last one that was made?
- How do people think of the words we say?
- How did scientists get the idea for light years?
- How long ago were fiber optics developed?
- Why is the United States one of the few countries that is not measuring in the Metric system despite being used in cars, soda, and film?
- What types of body chemicals are involved in depression? Has anyone done research on a possible connection between negative blood types and depression?
- What is spontaneous combustion? Is it a myth? What causes it?