Microscopy Image Contest
The Microscopy Facilities at the Cornell Center for Materials Research are hosting the 9th competition for the 3 best images produced using an electron, optical, or scanning probe microscope.
Current Contest Period
|Opens||April 07, 2012|
|Closes||April 30, 2012|
|Winner Notification||May 22, 2012|
Prizes for the 3 Winners
|$100||Cornell campus store gift certificate|
Submit an electronic version of an image (any image taken on a CCMR microscope is eligible) through the CCMR website along with the following info:
- Advisor of the person taking the image.
- A caption of no more than 50 words which describes the image and its key features.
- Must have a legible scale bar
Movies: Must submit a still image from movie clip for contest and e-mail movie to email@example.com
Permission is required from the principal investigator since the submitted image may be used in CCMR brochures as well as web pages and other forms of public display.
Judging For the 3 Awards
- "Tells the Best Story"
- "Most Technically Difficult"
- "Most Artistic"
All of the judges are Cornell faculty members. Only one image per person, per category can be submitted each round and no entry may be submitted more than once.
The submission period is now closed. Please check back for dates of future contests.
- Electron and Optical Microscopy
- Transmission Electron Microscopy
- Scanning Electron Microscopy
- Scanning Probe Microscopy
- Focused Ion Beam
- Optical Microscopy
- Sample Preparation for Electron Microscopy
- Spectroscopy and Electronic Measurements
- Electronic & Magnetic Measurements
- Optical Spectroscopy
- Electron Spectroscopy
- Mass Spectroscopy
- Dielectric Spectroscopy
- Surface Analysis and Characterization
- X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy
- Veeco Dimension 3100 Ambient AFM STM
- JEOL JSPM 4500 UHV STM
- Nanonics Multiview 1000 or 2000 Near-field Scanning Optical Microscopy (NSOM)
- Renishaw InVia Confocal Raman microscope
- ADE Phase Shift MicroXAM Optical Interferometric Profiler
- Contact Profilometry
- Soft Matter/Polymer Analysis
- Size Exclusion Chromatography
- Thermal Analysis
- Waters MALDI Micro MX (MALDI-TOF)
- X-ray and Diffraction Analysis
- Mechanical Properties Testing and Analysis
- Dynamic Testing
- Hardness Testing
- Micro Mechanical testing
- Thermal Analysis
- Size Classification
- Thin Film Deposition and Material Processing
- Thin films and coatings
- Wet chemical
- Heat Treating
- Glove Boxes
- Sample Preparation, Cutting, Polishing, Shaping, Joining, and Machining
- Sub-micron-scale Cutting
- Macroscopic Cutting and Drilling
- Jet machining
- Wafer saws
- Wire saws
- Abrasive Saws
- Diamond Saws
- Sample Mounting
- Sample Cleaning
- Test Equipment Lending Library
- General Test and Measurement Equipment
- Leak detectors
- Portable Vacuum and Pump Systems
- Optical Pyrometers
- Rough Pumps
- t. 607.255.9833