The Rigaku SmartLab has a new technology that allows both focusing geometry and parallel beam geometry without changing optical components. Interchangeable stages and optical components permit a large range of x-ray techniques to be performed on this instrument. New capabilities for the facility include:
- x-ray reflectivity measurements for thin film thickness, roughness and density determinations;
- full pole figures and phi scans for crystallographic texture analysis; high temperature XRD scans up to 1100°C in air or in vacuum;
- high-resolution rocking curves for film and crystal quality measurements;
- automated X-Y mapping of wafers;
- stress measurements;
- grazing incident angle diffraction for polycrystalline thin film.