The PPMS consists of a 9 Tesla superconducting magnet in a helium dewar with sample temperature range of 1.9-400 K. The numerous combinations of electrical measurements, magnetic fields and temperatures allow for a multitude of measurements:
• Resistivity, determination of superconductivity critical temperatures
• AC Transport, Hall Effect measurements
• Rotating sample holder for 360 degree sample rotation in field
• Magnetic susceptibility and M-H hysteresis loop measurements
• Open software architecture allows for additional types of electrical measurements
For magnetic measurements, samples are placed on a sample rod and magnetic response is measured via two pickup coils. The ACMS option can measure with 2.5×10-5 emu sensitivity in DC mode, and 10-8 emu sensitivity in AC mode. [Note – The VSM measurement option is located with the DynaCool system as of May 2019.]
For electrical measurements, each sample is attached to a puck which has up to 12 electrical leads for performing DC resistivity, AC resistivity, I-V curves, Hall Effect, and critical current measurements. A horizontal sample rotator allows any of these electrical measurements with 360-degree sample rotation in the magnetic field.